Thursday, July 10, 2008

Morning walk

"Where else am I supposed to walk? There's no sidewalk!"

I suspect that, at that moment, his aviator glasses hid a dumbfounded gaze, as if he had been caught being the human representation of an irrational situation. I could not be blamed for using that 3-feet long median as my walkway if there was no other option.

"Well, just be careful then."

As the Berkeley policeman drove off, I kept on walking in the median, much to the amazed look of many drivers who stared at me as if I had been a previously unknown specimen, a rare walking creature interrupting the monopoly of engines and asphalt, a pedestrian in the bridge connecting the city and the marina.

I assume not a lot of people walk from the Berkeley Marina to the UC campus. I missed the three half-full 51's during my 50-minute morning walk.

I am here until Sunday.

No comments: